Only Active Members shall be eligible to vote or hold office. All other members shall have all the privileges of Active Members except those of voting and holding office
To be eligible for active membership in the Society, an individual must possess the following
(1) Have attained their eighteenth birthday
(2) (a) hold a valid certificate as a Registered Public Accountant or Certified Public Accountant issued by the New Mexico State Board of Public Accountancy, or
(b) are Enrolled to Practice before the Internal Revenue Service, or
(c) have an associate or baccalaureate degree with a minimum of 24 semester hours in accounting, or
(d) are Accredited by the Accreditation Council for Accountancy in either Accountancy or Taxation, or
(e) have been approved by the Board of Governors.
(3) and demonstrate to the satisfaction of a majority of the members of the Society's Board of Governors adherence to the fundamental purposes of the Society as stated in Article I, Section 2 of these Bylaws.
(4) Have filed a formal application, accompanied by payment of dues and administrative fees as prescribed herein.
(5) In order to renew Active Membership, applicants attest that they have earned the number of hours of Continuing Professional Education (CPE) consistent with the New Mexico State Board of Public Accountancy or other federal licensing agency. If fewer than the required number of CPE hours are presented, an applicant will be renewed as an Active Member on Probationary Status for a period of time not to exceed one (1) year. If the CPE requirements are not met within the probationary time period, membership will be forfeited in accordance with Article X. On proof of illness or disability, CPE requirements may be waived at the discretion of the Board of Governors.